What are LABS?
Local Advisory Boards (LABs) are a key part of the governance structure within SAND Academies Trust and are integral to supporting the vision for the Trust in ensuring the individual identity of each school.
The Trust Board is the accountable body and has ultimate responsibility for the strategic functions of governance as follows:
- Ensuring there is clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils and the performance management of staff
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
What does the LAB do?
The LAB supports the Trustees in fulfilling the strategic functions at a local level and within the powers delegated to them through the Scheme of Delegation. The LAB will consider how the school is performing today as well as thinking about the future and how the school can improve in order to offer the best possible education and outcomes for its students.
The role of the LAB is to:
The role of the LAB is to:
- Uphold SAND Academies Trust ethos, vision and aims and ensure these are embedded throughout the school and in all LAB discussions and decisions
- Ensure that the school promotes equality, diversity and inclusion for all its pupils, staff and stakeholders
- Behave in an honest and open way and follow the LAB Code of Conduct [link] and the seven Nolan Principles of public life
- Ensure the safety and wellbeing of pupils and staff at all times
- Build and maintain good relationships with the school, the trust, the headteacher, staff, pupils and other stakeholder groups
- Promote links with the school’s community at every opportunity
- Work with the central team to ensure the school is well supported, and promote positive relationships across the trust
- Attend and support school events where possible
- Ensure the school is clear and ambitious for the pupils and in line with the trust’s strategic plan
- Monitor targets for the school around pupil achievement, school improvement and curriculum development
- Ensure that the school is best able to achieve its objectives over the long term
- Hold the headteacher to account for the management of the school, delivery of pupil outcomes and for carrying out any LAB decisions.
Who makes up the LAB?
Local Advisory Boards draw on different stakeholder groups for their membership. The different categories of LAB members are as follows:
- Staff – elected by the staff at the school
- Parent – elected by the parent/carer community at the school
- Headteacher – is an ex-officio member by virtue of their role in the school
- Community – representative of the local community or to bring a specific skillset
The following statutory information for SAND Academies Trust can be found on the SAND website https://www.sandmat.uk/governance/
- Governance structure – including statutory information for Members and Trustees
- Scheme of Delegation
- Terms of Reference for board committees and LABs
- Articles of Association
- Funding agreements
- Annual report and audited accounts
- Executive Pay statement
- Gender Pay Gap information
Current LAB Members
|Name||Role||Term of Office||Appointed By|
|Angela Jarvis||Chair||01/04/2021 to 31/03/2025||Academy Members|
|Wendy Ward||Vice Chair||01/04/2021 to 31/03/2025||LAB Board|
|Pete Hales||Headteacher||From 20/06/2022||ex-officio by virtue of office as headteacher|
|Katie Sweed||Community Member||04/05/2022 to 03/05/2026||LAB Board|
|Brenna Farrow||Community Member||24/01/2023 to 23/01/2027||LAB Board|
|Amanda Browne||Community Member||24/01/2023 to 23/01/2027||LAB Board|
|Laura Stephens||Staff Member||06/01/2023 to 05/01/2027||Elected by school staff|
|Deborah Moreton||Parent Member||01/11/2022|
|Luke Holder||Staff Member||31/08/2022|
|James Goodland||Community Member||01/05/2021|
The Clerk to the LAB is Sue Hunt. If you have any LAB related queries or need to contact Angela Jenkins, LAB Chair of Governors, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to her at Willow Primary Academy, Evenlode Road, Tuffley, Gloucester, GL4 0JY.
Other LAB Details
LAB MEETING DATES
Tuesday 27th September 2022
Tuesday 22nd November 2022
Tuesday 24th January 2023
Tuesday 14th March 2023
Tuesday 9th May 2023
Tuesday 27th June 2023
LAB REGISTER OF BUSINESS AND PECUNIARY INTERESTS
See document section below
GOVERNANCE INFORMATION, ANNUAL REPORTS & ACCOUNTS
Please visit the SAND Academies Trust website for more details.