Music Statement of Intent
The intent of the music curriculum at Willow Primary Academy is to inspire a passion for creativity and a love of music. Every child is entitled to a high-quality music education that gives them the opportunity to learn to read music, play a variety of musical instruments, listen and watch high quality live music performances, compose their own music and perform to family and peers in and outside of school.
Our music curriculum will give students the opportunity to:
- Develop a thorough understanding of music, through performing, composing, listening and analysing.
- Develop self-confidence through performance.
- Encourage creativity through composition skills.
- Understand the complexities of music through analysis of a wide range of genres from different musical and cultural perspectives.
- Encourage personal development through ensemble performances and group compositions.
- Understand how music can support the development of life skills, such as confidence, self awareness, perseverance and discipline and provide a holistic experience that they can take beyond their musical studies.
- Develop their cross-curricular skills of problem solving, perseverance, diligence, team work, time management, organisation, responsibility and cultural history.
- Gain a sense of achievement through performance.